bethorne

readitsomewhere

Turn of the Screw. Jamie Fraser. David Foster Wallace. Shakespeare. Well-constructed sentences. Leonard Cohen. Captain Wentworth. Neruda. Hemingway. Chapter 21 of Jane Eyre. Clive Staples. Tolkien. Melina Marchetta. Big, fat Russian novels. New words. And honey in my tea.

The Brides of Rollrock Island
Margo Lanagan
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)
Patrick Ness

Cosmopolis

Cosmopolis - Don DeLillo Much is being said about this book lately, and while I remembered DeLillo from college, this was one I hadn't bothered to read, so I picked it up and was pleasantly surprised. DeLillo has a way of saying much with very little. How the words look on the page and where they place in the paragraph make the novel seem a bit more like poetry than prose at times. Eric Packer, his antihero, is enamored with poetry himself and finds meaning in it, but grounds himself in numbers and technology at the same time. It's poignant, this not-so-futuristic-but-not-quite-realistic world where a young mogul loses it all while searching out sex and a haircut. You knew the ending from the beginning, and I think that's the point.