bethorne

readitsomewhere

Turn of the Screw. Jamie Fraser. David Foster Wallace. Shakespeare. Well-constructed sentences. Leonard Cohen. Captain Wentworth. Neruda. Hemingway. Chapter 21 of Jane Eyre. Clive Staples. Tolkien. Melina Marchetta. Big, fat Russian novels. New words. And honey in my tea.

The Brides of Rollrock Island
Margo Lanagan
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)
Patrick Ness

On the Island

On the Island - Tracey Garvis-Graves This book bored me. There was little to no suspense even from chapter to chapter. No tension. No dramatic structure. Other than the central plot line - Anna and TJ are stuck on an island for years - each chapter presented an obstacle that was resolved by the end of it. I never once doubted they would both survive or be rescued or fall in love. I felt no urgency either. After all Anna carried a seemingly impossible amount of toiletries with her, so they didn't even have to worry about not smelling like freesia. I mean, for an easy summer read, it was ok. If you can handle a "first we did this, then we did this, which led to this but was happily taken care of by this next thing" storytelling. I read it in the car on the way to Florida so it passed that time. But barely.