bethorne

readitsomewhere

Turn of the Screw. Jamie Fraser. David Foster Wallace. Shakespeare. Well-constructed sentences. Leonard Cohen. Captain Wentworth. Neruda. Hemingway. Chapter 21 of Jane Eyre. Clive Staples. Tolkien. Melina Marchetta. Big, fat Russian novels. New words. And honey in my tea.

The Brides of Rollrock Island
Margo Lanagan
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)
Patrick Ness

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer Trilogy)

The Evolution of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin This follow up takes the supernatural aspect that we were introduced to in [b:The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer|8591107|The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)|Michelle Hodkin|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327885944s/8591107.jpg|13460686] and flips it on its head. What I really loved about the first book (other than Noah) was that Mara was a bit of an unreliable narrator. She didn't know what she was doing half of the time, and as a reader, you didn't know if you could trust her. In this book, she doesn't trust herself, from the first chapter until the last. Unfortunately, for me, this made her constant vacillation redundant instead of intriguing. I prefer a dubious narrator to be so because she's holding something back from the reader, not because the character herself is blacking out and doesn't know reality from nightmare. The ending essentially came from nowhere and took what was a supernatural/paranormal storyline in book one to what will essentially be some kind of totalitarian insurgence in book three. Which is strange, but hopefully will work.