bethorne

readitsomewhere

Turn of the Screw. Jamie Fraser. David Foster Wallace. Shakespeare. Well-constructed sentences. Leonard Cohen. Captain Wentworth. Neruda. Hemingway. Chapter 21 of Jane Eyre. Clive Staples. Tolkien. Melina Marchetta. Big, fat Russian novels. New words. And honey in my tea.

The Brides of Rollrock Island
Margo Lanagan
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)
Patrick Ness

Graceling

Graceling - Kristin Cashore I feel like this review is one big complaint about a book that I actually liked. But the things I didn't like are easier to say. WHY did we see so little of Leck? I felt as if there was a lot of tell regarding him (Katsa and Po seemed to figure out a whole heck of a lot of things alone in the woods) and less show. I would have found his grace and his character a lot more menacing if they had perhaps infiltrated his country and been exposed to him before they figured out what he could do, perhaps had to help Bitterblue and her mother escape instead of chancing upon it. I was disappointed to see so little of the council as well. The way the book started, it seemed like this would have been a major vehicle for Katsa and Po to come together, but instead it was just the two of them, finding sympathetic shop owners and what not. All in all, a good novel, with an interesting fantasy world, strong female protagonist and sweet boy.