bethorne

readitsomewhere

Turn of the Screw. Jamie Fraser. David Foster Wallace. Shakespeare. Well-constructed sentences. Leonard Cohen. Captain Wentworth. Neruda. Hemingway. Chapter 21 of Jane Eyre. Clive Staples. Tolkien. Melina Marchetta. Big, fat Russian novels. New words. And honey in my tea.

The Brides of Rollrock Island
Margo Lanagan
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)
Patrick Ness

Scarlet

Scarlet - Another sequel that improves on the first in the series. The central conflict in this story is more weighty than in Cinder. Because it begins in the middle of a tense situation - Cinder has to free herself from prison to escape being given over to the Lunar queen - the pace doesn't really let up. And then there is Scarlet. Her story is a simple one: her grandmother is missing, and she wants to find her. She meets Wolf, gets his help to find her, and in the process finds out how her story is intertwined with Cinder's past. I loved her, and Wolf, and their journey together. As was the case with Cinder I found the central "shocker" to be a little obvious (that Wolf was leading her into the jaws of her grandmother's kidnappers was evident early on, but then again, it IS a retelling of a classic tale) but it didn't dampen my enjoyment of how it played out. The whole series is highly enjoyable. I can't wait for the 3rd (and that will be a WHILE).