bethorne

readitsomewhere

Turn of the Screw. Jamie Fraser. David Foster Wallace. Shakespeare. Well-constructed sentences. Leonard Cohen. Captain Wentworth. Neruda. Hemingway. Chapter 21 of Jane Eyre. Clive Staples. Tolkien. Melina Marchetta. Big, fat Russian novels. New words. And honey in my tea.

The Brides of Rollrock Island
Margo Lanagan
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)
Patrick Ness

But I Love Him

But I Love Him - Amanda Grace Errr. 2.5 stars I guess? When I started reading reviews and summaries for this book I was intrigued by the premise and the narrative style - that we see the relationship from the rock bottom point and move backwards to get the history and context. But it felt disjointed, as if the scenes were pieced together but didn't quite fit, especially as it goes on and we get farther from the Ann and Connor we are introduced to, and closer to their actual, well, introduction. It almost seems as if the book would be better suited to film, and the structure would work in that medium. Other than that, it was an interesting picture of what abusive relationships can be like (and how difficult it can be to get out of them, or see yourself outside of it). If I had read this at 15, I may have made different choices about the relationship I was in.