bethorne

readitsomewhere

Turn of the Screw. Jamie Fraser. David Foster Wallace. Shakespeare. Well-constructed sentences. Leonard Cohen. Captain Wentworth. Neruda. Hemingway. Chapter 21 of Jane Eyre. Clive Staples. Tolkien. Melina Marchetta. Big, fat Russian novels. New words. And honey in my tea.

The Brides of Rollrock Island
Margo Lanagan
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)
Patrick Ness

Siege and Storm

Siege and Storm - "Ravka feels palpable and reachable, like a time and place we can map and travel to. There’s this gorgeous backdrop of fantasy – there is magic, but it’s rooted in history, like good fantasy should be, and that always makes me happy, school girl dancing giddy.""It’s relentless. There was never a moment where I felt I could put the book down, take a breather, leave Ravka and return later. I was a Volcra, and S&S was sandskiff of juicy peoples.""Here’s the thing: in a lot of books, we’re given a clear hero. A Good and an Evil. What I love about your series is the murkiness that IS Alina, and her relationship to her own power and to The Darkling. We get the barest hints of that in the first book, but it was delicious how she struggled in S&S. Of course, the struggle itself is what makes Alina sympathetic, but there is still the mystery of where she will land. I LOVE IT."Quotes from my Fake-Interview with Leigh Bardugo. You can read the rest of my review on That's Normal. http://thats-normal.com/2013/05/my-completely-fake-interview-with-author-leigh-bardugo/