bethorne

readitsomewhere

Turn of the Screw. Jamie Fraser. David Foster Wallace. Shakespeare. Well-constructed sentences. Leonard Cohen. Captain Wentworth. Neruda. Hemingway. Chapter 21 of Jane Eyre. Clive Staples. Tolkien. Melina Marchetta. Big, fat Russian novels. New words. And honey in my tea.

The Brides of Rollrock Island
Margo Lanagan
The Dream Thieves
Maggie Stiefvater
The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)
Patrick Ness

The Sea of Tranquility

The Sea of Tranquility - Katja Millay Can't review. Too many tears.ETA: I just re-read this (March 7), and I have to amend my review for a couple of reasons. I keep seeing this book get 4 and 5 stars, compared to books like [b:On the Jellicoe Road|1162022|On the Jellicoe Road|Melina Marchetta|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1212708945s/1162022.jpg|6479100], [b:The Language of Flowers|10032672|The Language of Flowers|Vanessa Diffenbaugh|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1333577674s/10032672.jpg|14928278], and [b:Where She Went|8492825|Where She Went (If I Stay, #2)|Gayle Forman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347810457s/8492825.jpg|10706553], and I have to put it out there: It's good, but not THAT good. Don't get me wrong. I liked it. A lot. I loved Josh and Drew and Clay and Nastya, but it has flaws. And it lacks a lot of important things that truly amazing books have. The author DOES keep the narrative from falling into too deep cliche waters by having an interesting (if not wholly unique) structure. Alternating POVs is not unique, but Josh and Nastya are. She's also using flashback to build mystery, and that takes a modicum of skill. But I don't think she's particularly amazing at it. I do applaud her use of a completely SILENT main character. It's a feat to have no dialogue between the MC and the other characters for the majority of the book. And she's adept at keeping it interesting.Where it falls a little below the 4/5 star line is in the pacing. There are huge sections of the book where you need it to move, and it kind of doesn't. Or you need a scene that's suddenly just missing. And above all, the story, while nicely told, just isn't all that terribly original. It almost falls into fanfiction territory with: damaged girl meets equally but differently damaged boy, they woo against their better judgement, they fight against their love for another, they learn the truth, they heal. And the theme of creation vs ruination is a pretty common one. To be compared to books that I loved because they were completely fresh and daring and beautiful kind of requires a leap I'm not capable of making. And maybe I'm totally wrong and no one is thinking it's up to those other books' snuff. But I just felt the need to clarify the difference for me. Maybe a 4 star rating (I really liked it) and not a 5 star one (it was amazing) should suffice.